I have decided to start a blog for people to keep updated.
As you may or may not know what is exactly going on, I will give you a little update.
I was very excited at my 19 week appointment to find out what I was having. I went in for my normal OB check up and to hear him say today is the day you can find out the sex of the baby. I was so excited words couldn't explain. I then went across the hall and waited for my anatomy scan and to find out the sex of the baby. She then told me I was having a baby boy! I was so excited, as she kept scanning and taking pictures of parts of the body it seemed like it was taking a very long time and she kept going over the same part again and again. She then told me to go back across the hall to meet with my doctor. I thought it was kind of odd because my doctor said after the ultrasound he would see me back in 4 weeks. As I went in to the office very nervous and wondering why i had to come back. The doctor then came in to explain my baby had what was called CDH. Congenital Diaphramatic Hernia. I had no idea what that was, as he then told me I probably had never even heard of this before. He explained that CDH was a congenital birth defect caused by a hole in the diaphram. This hole did not close which lets parts of the stomach into the chest. Those organs press against the lungs and prevent proper development of the lungs. My baby had a hole on the left side of his diaphram. I was speechless and felt so confused and sad but still had so many questions running through my mind as to why? He explained to me that there is no cause for this and it was nothing I did or could have done to prevent this from happening. He then told me this baby had to have special care from here on out. I would most likely be going to Billings for my further appointments. He explained everything to me as best as he could and asked if I had any questions. I had so many questions to ask but I was so speechless at the time. He told me the doctor from billings would be contacting me in the next couple days. As I walked out of office so confused and in tears just wondering why or how? Billings then called me right away saying they needed me to be there the
next day for a follow up appointment and this was a very serious condition. I hung up the phone and cried. I then called my family to explain the condition of my baby but it was all so new to me so I then did a lot of researching. We left for Billings that night.
As the next day approached I was waiting for my appointment so confused. They took me back to do a very long ultrasound that was like an hour or longer. When she was finished the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor had come in to tell me all about what was happening. I then went to meet with a genetics counselor to talk. They did a amnio test which checks the baby's genetics. It's a small needle inserted into my stomach that takes the baby's fluid to check his genetics. They then told me they would call me in about 2 weeks with the results. They explained my baby would most likely be delivered at the Children's Hospital or I could choose a hospital for delivery that had what he needed at the time of birth.
It had been 2 weeks and I had finally got the phone call with the results of the amnio test. She told me his genetics looked great. I was so relieved to hear that news! I then had to call my family to tell them some things were looking up. My next appointment in billings a few weeks later I had found out the baby also had a hole in his heart and I would need to also see a cardiologist. Then again my heart dropped and I was so upset to hear my poor baby had to go through all of these horrible things. I then met with the cardiologist and he did his fetal echo scan and explained the correct terminology of what he thought the baby had for heart defects. He said he had 2 heart defects. As I left there I was so lost and confused about all of this. I was so sad.
I finally made my choice as to where I wanted my baby to be born. I choose the Children's Hospital of Colorado. Something in me felt like that was the right place to go. I made a trip to visit and do more testing around 26 weeks. I had a very long day of appointments. From MRI to fetal echo to ultra sound. I then had a meeting with all the doctors and surgeons. We went over all my testing and what was all going to happen. After meeting with all the doctors and surgeons I knew this was the place for delivery. I left very reassured that he would have a good outcome.
I had further monitoring in Billings until I was ready to relocate to Colorado.
The time came for me to pack up and say goodbye for awhile . It was very hard to leave my family, friends, and dogs. I knew I would do anything for this baby boy.
The day had come to have another long day of testing at the Children's Hospital. I started the morning off with a very long MRI which looks at the baby's lung volume. It was very uncomfortable being in that machine for so long without moving, but what keeps me going is knowing I am doing it for my baby. I then had a ultra sound to measure how big he is and all the parts of his body. He was measuring a little smaller then he should weighing 4.8 pounds. From there I went to do a fetal heart echo, which a cardiologist ultra sounds the heart for about 2 hours getting all the measurements they need. After all my testing was complete I waited for the doctors to go over it and come out to get me to meet with them again. The time had finally come to meet them all again and go over all the images and everything I went through throughout the day. Each doctor had explained how the baby's development was and the plan for delivery. The doctors told me from the last time I was here that it has gotten more severe. His left lung is only a sliver and his right lung didn't develop very big due to not having enough room. As they told me that I broke down. Hearing it has gotten more severe was so heartbreaking. They told me they would do everything they can. I left there very emotional. I had no feeling, I felt so empty inside and there is nothing I can do to change this except pray. Everything will need to be done after delivery. I pray so often that my baby is a strong little boy and he can fight through all of this and be a survivor of all of this. This has been the hardest experience I have gone through in life.
I have appointments about twice a week for monitoring until delivery. We decided c section was my delivery plan.
I will try and keep everyone updated from time to time.
Please keep us in your prayers!!
Jillian
I read this with huge tears! Stay strong and when you are tired the Lord will carry you. Please get the book The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. I received it as a gift when Harlow was born and it is amazing!!
ReplyDeleteGod Bless you both! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
Kylie & Harlow <3
Jillian, I can't even begin to imagine what you are going thru and the things you must be feeling and thinking. I just want you to know that I think of you often and keep in touch with your mom on any updates that she may have. It was great to hear that you have started blogging to keep everyone informed. I pray for a strong young fighter just like his mother. I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep blogging. Marie
ReplyDeleteHi Jillian -
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome to be able to send you messages this way. I have never done this. I want you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers every day. It is so amazing what is possible with technolgy... and modern medicine. I love how you can keep us updated. This will save your mom and dad a lot of repeating - although I know they love talking about their kids.
I had to go to Glasgow to do CDL testing. Talk about winter in Montana! I was very glad to get home this afternoon - was not looking forward to spending the weekend in a hotel there. I hope you can get out and get some of that fresh mountain air in Denver. I haven't spent much time there but when I did it was fun. Actually went to (my one and only time)see the Chippendales. Ask me about them sometime :)))
I hope you are getting lots of rest and relaxation. Will look forward to your updates! Lots of love! LaNette